Spinach and ricotta tart is an Italian classic, perfect for a picnic, a brunch, or even dinner. I make it very often, especially when I am running low in vegetables as I can use frozen ones, and there is always a slice or two in my freezer ready to be used.
The classic recipe uses spinach, but these can be replaced with other leafy vegetables such as chard or kale, or even mushrooms; however, I would recommend adjusting the seasoning depending on the vegetable used. It works equally well using fresh or frozen vegetables as long as the quantity ratios are respected.
It is lighter than standard tarts as it uses puff pastry instead of shortcrust but it is very cheesy.
This is my mum’s recipe, it is tried and tested and I would not change a thing !
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serve|
|10 minutes||40 minutes||6|
- 500g spinach (washed)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 350g ricotta cheese (I use goat ricotta)
- 1 egg
- 100g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg (freshly grated)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk for brushing
1. Put the extra virgin olive oil and the clove of garlic in a frying pan and cook until the garlic has a golden color. Add the spinach and cook for about ten minutes. Take off the heat, season with salt and pepper and remove the garlic.
2. While the spinach cool down. Mix the ricotta cheese, egg, Parmigiano Reggiano and nutmeg until all the ingredients are combined. Season with salt and pepper and give it a another mix.
3. Squeeze the spinach to remove any excess water, cut them finely and add them to the ricotta and egg mixture. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
4. Roll out the puff pastry on a 24cm tart dish, prick it with a fork, pour over the spinach and ricotta mixture and level it with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Fold over any excess pastry along the edges and brush it with the egg yolk.
5. Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180C Fan for 30 minutes, or until the center of the pie is set and the crust is golden brown. Let it cool down for 10/15 minutes once out of the oven before serving it.
This tart will keep in the fridge for a couple of days and freezes very well, just let it defrost completely before warming it up.
Enjoy making it and let me know if you have any comments or questions!
If you want to make this recipe and share it on your social media please tag me using @prepandproperrecipes and the tag #prepandproperrecipes