Quiche is the perfect way to cook a quick lunch or dinner and clean up any vegetable and food in your fridge. I love making quiches for picnics and barbecues as you can make them in advance and test just as delicious when cold.
All my quiches consist of few basic ingredient:
- Shortcrust – usually a chilled one, I always promise myself I will make some from scratch one day! I use Jus-Roll that is dairy free and so perfect for me
- Eggs – at least two, in fact most always just two as I top is up a dash of dairy-free milk
- Cheese – any type of cheese, feta, goat cheese, percorino, parmigiano reggiano, manchego.
- Vegetables – any vegetable that takes your fancy or you just need to cook, as it is often my case
Obviously you can add ham or deli cuts to your liking, but I prefer the vegetarian version!
I usually sauté the vegetable with a bit of onion, then whisk the eggs and cheese together with some seasoning, layer it on the roll-out shortcrust and bake it. It’s a quick and easy dish and very delicious!
Trust me it’s perfect for a quick weekend lunch and the leftovers, if there are ever any, freeze very well!
- 300g Asparagus
- 1 Shallot or brown onion
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Medium eggs
- 100ml Almond milk or milk of your choice
- 10gr Pecorino cheese or any hard cheese
- 1 pack of chilled shortcrust pastry
- 70g Feta cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Cut all, but four asparagus, in small pieces leaving the asparagus tips intact.
2. Grate the shallot in a frying pan, add the extra virgin olive oil and sauté on a medium heat until nice and gold.
I like to grate onion in my dishes so that you can taste it without seeing and eating it in chunks
3. Add the asparagus stems and cook for a couple of minutes, add the four full asparagus to the pan and cook for an extra five minutes. Finally add the asparagus tips and cook for other two minutes. Set aside to cool until you need to used them later in the recipe
Keep the different types of asparagus separate in the frying pan.
4. While the asparagus cook, whisk the eggs with the almond milk, the pecorino cheese, salt and pepper.
5. Roll out the shortcrust pastry on a floured bench. Then roll it over the pie dish, with the aid of a ing pin.
Lift the edges of the shortcrust pastry and push them down, using your fingers, to fit the sides of pie dish.
Cut any excess crust from the sides and dock the base of the shortcrust with a fork.
6. Put the cooked asparagus stems and half of the tips over the shortcrust pastry.
7. Cut the feta cheese in small cubes and scatter it over the asparagus.
8. Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus and feta.
9. Use the four full asparagus and the remaining asparagus tips to decorate the top of the pie
10. Brush any egg residue over the edges of the shortcrust pie
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C fan for 30 minutes or until cooked.
12 Let it cook for a few minutes before serving it.
I love serving it with a mixed salad with balsamic dressing, just the perfect match!
Hope you like it as much as I do. Let me know if you have any questions or what you think if this recipe by using the comment box below!!
If you want to make this recipe and share it on your social media please tag me using @prepandproperrecipes and using the tag #prepandproperrecipes and #nofoodinthebin